Today, I lodged a complaint with the Monitoring Officer of Forest of Dean District Council outlining a number of alleged breaches of the members’ Code of Conduct by the Mayor of Lydney, Cllr Walter Leach.
The complaint consists of 7 pages with 72 pages of supplementary evidence and the allegations are summarised as follows:
- In breach of Section 1.1 of the Code, Cllr Leach failed to provide for effective and ethical leadership of Lydney Town Council and the community within its area by personal example;
- In breach of Section 1.2 of the Code, Cllr Leach failed to respect others and not bully or threaten any person;
- In breach of Section 1.3 of the Code, Cllr Leach failed to respect the confidentiality of information by disclosing confidential information without a clear and over-riding public interest in doing so and by obstructing third parties’ legal rights of access to information;
- In breach of Section 1.4 of the Code, Cllr Leach failed to ensure conduct is not in a manner which is likely to bring the council into disrepute;
- In breach of Section 1.5 of the Code, Cllr Leach failed to ensure that his use of his position as a member and as Mayor of Lydney was not for personal advantage;
- In breach of Section 1.6 of the Code, Cllr Leach failed to ensure that his conduct did not use his office or public resources for private or political purposes;
- In breach of Section 1.7 of the Code, Cllr Leach failed to take decisions for good and substantial reasons, a failure to state reasons for decisions where those reasons are not apparent and a failure to pay due regard to the advice of officers; and
- In breach of Section 1.8 of the Code, Cllr Leach failed to ensure his conduct does nothing to cause the council to act unlawfully.